Strategic Donor Meeting in Support of the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility
The Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) in collaboration with the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF) hosted a Strategic Donor Meeting in Support of the CCRIF at the offices of the CDB in Barbados on March 6, 2013.
The meeting brought together international development partners including the UK Department for International Development (DFID), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), Inter-American Bank, and the European Union among others. Regional institutions represented included the Caribbean Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology (CIMH), Caribbean Disaster and Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA) and the Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC).
The genesis of this meeting was two-pronged:
- At one-on-one meetings with our international development partners last year, some donors recommended that CCRIF hold a meeting to bring together all donors to conduct a strategic discussion on areas of cooperation towards satisfying both the Facility’s and the donors’ mandates for disaster management in the region.
- The Implementation Completion Report released by the World Bank last year recommended that this meeting be convened so that all donors could participate in one common discussion about possible synergies between CCRIF and the international development partners working in the region as well as with our regional partners – with the goal of increasing the effectiveness and sustainability of our disaster risk management initiatives throughout the Caribbean.
Objectives of the Meeting
- To provide current and potential donors of CCRIF with an update on the Facility’s activities over the period 2007 – Present
- To present donors with CCRIF’s strategic direction over the next 3 years
- To introduce donors to CCRIF’s new excess rainfall product and to seek support for the new product via matching contributions to a capital pool
- To coordinate with donors’ Disaster Risk Management initiatives and other Technical Assistance programmes
- To determine through dialogue the mechanisms to support better coordination of CCRIF
Press Release - Regional Donors and Organisations Discuss CCRIF’s New Excess Rainfall Product